Word's Worth

My thoughts on different writers with smatterings of my own poetic drivel thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

William Faulkner















Barn Burning (BB)
In what is sure to be my most disappointing post ever, I illustrate the danger of lukewarmness. I neither hated this story nor loved it. At least with James I could go on about hating him. The only thing I can offer Faulkner is that he is obviously too good for me.

Being a reader of such low estate, I realize only a vague sense of genius lurking in the background. Overall, Faulkner's effect on me is aseptic, though the the story is tragic, and tussles sensibility. There is a pang there, the same one that I feel when I've chanced to watch accidental moments of infants squirming in laps of foul-mouthed mothers as they argue paternity on talk shows.

But BB possesses the very same pathology that drives me away, hedges a wall of protection around my passion, dulls it, dries it. BB passes into history being interesting but not fun.

I tip my hat to Faulkner's emptiness and nothing and move on.

Visit Faulkner's grave.