Kate Chopin

At The 'Cadian Ball and The Storm
I found nothing in particular inspiring or even singularly interesting about Kate Chopin the woman. I feel the same about her two above works. In short, they were dull.
While I find the tone pathetic enough, perhaps I am guilty of being too accustomed to today's soulless customs to be shocked. Also, something is missing. It seems the stories here are a tad contrived... involving a make believe world where red is red and not crimson, peopled with characters not entirely dimensional. It seems a le parc aux petits for her somewhat lackluster fantasy life.
What did impress me, and wholly so, was Desiree's Baby (DB), reading that is not required but should be. (It reminds me of A House Divided.) Nothing would be lost were le bal fini along with the accompanying torrents... and DB left to take their place! I am mystified as to why our cunning James-assinging prof would make no mention of it in required reading... unless it is a hidden track, a reward for those who look beyond for the sheer joy of the ocular lambada.
This ironic story has everything I adore in a piece of fictional writing. If it's going to be fiction, it may as well be riveting, and DB does not disappoint! This is where Kate wins my alligiance. Presently, I can forgive her the sins of the ball, the storm and most anything and even fight on her behalf!
I loved it, I loved it, I LOVED IT! This one story is worth the price of admission!
Ahhhhhhhh!
Visit Kate's grave.
<< Home