Word's Worth

My thoughts on different writers with smatterings of my own poetic drivel thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Origin of the Camel's Hemorrhoids

After two days of asking, my husband relented and let me read aloud the Origin of the Raven poem. At the finish, he humored me that it was "good". Knowing my anti-intellectual but exceedingly faithful, compassionate, God-loving husband, I asked him to make of it a summary. He was trapped.

Gently, I explained at least what I had intended. I discussed what I see as flaws and misunderstandings in the poem. And humbly saddled him upon the raven's back and led him from gay studio to heavy parlor. Suffice it to say, once he understood the piece, his face brightened and he really got it! Not only that - he told me it was good! This "good" was genuine opining.

He suggested that perhaps I post with an explanation of the piece and what I meant to convey. (He also said vocabulary footnotes might be useful.) He said he enjoyed it much more once he understood what I was getting at and confided that prior to the explanation I could have told him it was a poem about a camel with hemorrhoids and he would have nodded his head in loving support.

(This of course, the camel and the hemorrhoids, is why I married him and why we are celebrating our 15th year together come December.)

I think that I will provide this explanation when I have a moment, and I will also provide some unassuming information that will have you thinking less of me, such as the revelation that a rhyming dictionary was employed - say it isn't so!