Word's Worth

My thoughts on different writers with smatterings of my own poetic drivel thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Abraham Lincoln










Gettysburg/1865 Address/Loan Denial
Unfortunately, I never cared one way or the other for the author when I was too young and being made to. Now that I am a "mature" individual however, I heart Abraham Lincoln. That's all there is to it.

The biography fascinates me. I'm sad to learn of his mother's death when he was a tender 9-years-old but am particularly grateful for his step-mother, who discovered a place in her heart for him. It says much, I think, that he was able to receive her love; it's a hard thing for a child to lose a mother. I dare say, it's a hard thing for an adult to lose a mother! I'd like to know more about his step-mom and how it was that she came to be his mother; what happened to her first husband? No matter. "Angel mother" and son embraced one the other. Reciprocal reception: it's a beautiful thing!


The most compelling paragraph in the biography has to do with his marrying Todd (photo at right) and their children, "only one of whom survived to adulthood". Well isn't that a ridiculously pregnant revelation! I want to read a book on that one subject alone! And really, I'd like to know more about Todd's Parents' objections to the marriage. Could it be that there were more issues than just Lincoln's "low estate"? Methinks "mebbe".



Gettysburg Address
Abe addressing Gettysburg
It's surprising to learn that he ever voted against abolitionist measures, but he was a shrewd attorney, and in hindsight, he obviously knew what he was doing.

Mention of the Kansas-Nebraska Bill is intriguing, and I wonder how pertinent it is to crucial modern day struggles. Along the same lines, I nod vigorously at Lincoln's assertion that slavery was not created and endorsed by the Founding Fathers. In light of what we as a society know about that issue today, the way we currently treat certain peoples is incomprehensible.

The subject of Abraham Lincoln, his dealings, life and writings, is passionately stirring.

Were I not a careful sort, I might find myself spilling over at the language of the Gettysburg Address and am especially affected by "...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain..." Theme of the day. (Theme of a lifetime.)

1865 Inaugural Address
1865 Inauguration














For whatever reason, a read through Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address affects me even more deeply. Call me moralistic. Call me a zealot. Whatever you will, it moves me.

"Both read the same Bible, and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces..."

Something in me wants to copy and paste this a hundred times. Paste it, highlight it, color the text, bold it, underline it... well, you get the point. The punch this packs, the relevancy that this carries today... it's spot on. Truth is a zinger. It's phenomenal and simplistic. It's... where are the words?

The rest of the paragraph is just mind blowing, but particularly when it picks up at "Yet, if God wills that it continue, until all the wealth piled by the bond-man's two hundread and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash, shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said 'the judgements of the Lord, are true and righteous altogether.'"

Concern for his fellows has always been evident, but his passionate relationship with God is gorgeous and inspiring. It's new to me, as before I had not particularly thought of him in terms of having such a connection. I adore this information, and I'm keeping it in spite of what others might contend. We all know that some people will say anything if it serves their own purpose.

Abe Denies A Loan
Finally, honorable mention goes to Lincoln's letter to his brother-in-law, in which Abe denies a loan. Upon reading it there is less a feeling of plain weariness and more a conveyance that Abe really cares about the person of his brother-in-law... and naturally, Abe wishes good things for his sister and her children. His advice is pointed but excellent and honorable. There is a warming sense of wisdom and consideration, and these things no doubt aided Lincoln as he presided over our nation in those long-ago days.

You read through this entire entry?
You deserve a reward!

Attend Lincoln's wake, the execution of conspirators, etc.
Visit Lincoln's grave.